Keyboard Warrior was made in 1 week for the Berkeley College Game Jam by a team of 6.
I owned our game design, enemy design, and 3D art.
I'm a big fan of using games to teach, so when I had the chance to pitch a typing game concept to my jam teammates, you can bet I took it.
Here's what that pitch looked looked like during the first few hours of the jam.
It's come quite a ways since then.
Unfortunately, we had to scrap some systems along the way in order to make the submission deadline. Of Keyboard Warrior's cut content, the big two are definitely the shop and enemies spawning in waves.
Thankfully, neither was fundamental to core gameplay. Making the decision to scrap a feature is never an easy one, but more often then not, it's the right thing to do.
Another casualty was this absolutely legendary piece of concept art that was made for the cut battle chicken enemy.
RIP, battle chicken. You'll live on in our hearts.
But the enemies that did make it in were all thoroughly vetted, especially when it came to decided between a jagged or straight trim for our goblin's shorts!
Designing enemies was definitely my favorite thing from the jam, both in the looks and gameplay departments! Out of all of them, our Wizzrobe-inspired wizard enemy has gotta be my favorite.
The wizard's ability to block off keys gives Keyboard Warrior's gameplay some much needed depth. My intent was to create emergent scenarios where players have to prioritize certain enemies to survive—if they don't, they're toast!
Like an unsurprisingly large amount of my game concepts, the keyboard warrior herself also started out as an MS Paint concept.
Despite having 3D modeling experience prior to the jam, it was weirdly challenging trying to translate my own concept art into 3D.
While I originally pushed for simplistic models in order to meet the submission deadline, that simplicity ended up being a big plus once we got our shader working.
Mad props to our programmers.